My name is August and I am a masked Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I am 6 years old spayed female. I was an owner surrender due to no time to work with me after having children. As a result, my manners got a bit rusty. Here are some of the facts:
- I am a very determined girl. I would prefer to have things my way but I will follow the rules if you are consistent and fair.
- I need someone who is going to use positive reinforcement with me as I show signs of former abuse. The trainers have worked on desensitizing me with my collar and leg motions but I will need positive reinforcement on both for a long time yet.
- I love people! I love adults and older children. I need to be watched around small children because I am a recovering resource guarder.
- To say I love fetch and balls is an understatement. I can retrieve all day long and I am working on how to fit 3 balls in my mouth. I have 2 balls in the mouth perfected.
- I am fine with cats and dogs. I would be great as an only dog but fine with a dog that just wants to coexist. I am not much on playing and interacting with dogs.
- I walk well on a leash and do not react to noise or odd things happening around me.
- I will need to be in a fenced yard or closely monitored outside.
I will need ongoing training on my resource guarding and rules. I would prefer to be the one in charge so my new home must understand and follow the “Nothing in Life is Free” protocol. I am getting better at dropping my toys or my treasurers if you offer me a trade. I am learning that “finder, keeper” does not always apply. My house manners are pretty good. I am a quick learner but I need a patient and consistent teacher.
I am currently in a transitional foster home after 6 weeks of intensive training on my resource guarding and desensitizing me to actions that remind me of the abuse. I am a happy, goofy girl who is 7 going on 3 yrs!
If you are interested in learning more about me, please complete the application at this link.